Monday, April 17, 2017

#2. The CATTLEWORKS HORROR MOVIE MARATHON for OCTOBER!

April 18, 2017

Looking over this post quickly, I’m genuinely amused at times by my (indulgent) writing and looking over the movie titles I picked, I’m laughing at how I ridiculously I was fooling myself into thinking I’d watch a significant portion of these films in that narrow span of time, let alone any of them. But, the assortment of titles is kind of cool.

One time-machine moment is realizing/recalling that I shared my wife’s computer in her workroom at the time-- we only had one computer back then.
Finally, there’s the LJ “luxury" of picking your “mood” and labeling what music your listening to.

October 15, 2005


Howdy!

Well, here I am, writing another entry in my livejournal (well, duh! you may say to yourself, dear reader...). The significance being, in April I opened this account. September 2, I made my first entry (cripes!). That's, uh (discreetly the livejournalist engages in some mental abacus-ry... ooh! Those slippery moving beads are kinda stimulating in the grey matter..!)(Hey, it's all intellectual stimulation, perverts..!), ah, yes, uh huh... 4 to 5 months-ish. And now, NOW, here it is, a mere 43 days later, only a month and a half even, and I'm whacking away at this fershlugginer livejournal yet AGAIN! Oh, excuse me for mussin' up your hair with my blazing activity! (Yes!)
Anyways...

So, yeah, here I am in the MOVIE themed blog.

Very interesting, the human creature. Specifically, THIS human creature (me). So, I have this livejournal I'm trying to do now. A few days ago I had this idea...

It's Halloween season. I thought, wouldn't it be cool if I did a horror movie marathon thing for the month? Like watch all these movies and give little reviews of them, and all the movies would be films I own, either on DVD or VHS. The main impetus for this ambitious concept (ambitious for me) is not to celebrate Halloween or to share these titles (some of them off-beat) with you, gentle reader, but to kick me in the ass to watch all these movies.

I have this ridiculous but well-earned reputation for buying but rarely actually watching DVDs. The running joke is I can be talking about a movie with someone and I eventually remark, "Yeah, I own that DVD." And then I amend that remark by confessing, "Um, I haven't seen it, yet."
So, I came up with this calendar of horror/scary/macabre films for the month of October.
Being the indecisive mofo that I am, of course, I came up with MORE than 31 titles. I justify this by saying that Saturdays are "Drive-in Nights" so it allows for multiple features...
Yes, I tried to organize the titles by labeling each day of the week (almost) with an arbitrary theme. At the end, I thought I came up with a pretty cool list of flicks.
The drawback is, I actually came up with this idea 12 days into the month! Sucking suck!

My wife, Amy, saw what I was doing and started laughing, which immediately annoyed me because I took it personally and un-supportively. Then she got annoyed that I got annoyed, understandably because she was right. But that's BESIDE the freaking point!


Anyways, who am I kidding?


Well, ME, of course! ME!


So, we'll proceed in stages.

First, I'll reveal my ridiculous calendar of movies.
Second, slowly I'll try to follow through on my strategy of viewing and reviewing these freaking films. And by the end of the month, we'll see how lame I was...

But, one of the main reasons I'm doing this livejournal, I've come to realize, is to entice myself to watch all these movies that I already own. Stupid, sure. But, if it works, cool!


And now, behold, the CATTLEWORKS HORROR MOVIE MARATHON for OCTOBER!! Moo hoo ha ha ha!!!

(Cue disturbing and frightening accordion music NOW!):

DRIVE-IN SATURDAYS:

Oct 1 - Director Sam Raimi's EVIL DEAD Trilogy:
THE EVIL DEAD, EVIL DEAD II: DEAD BY DAWN, and ARMY OF DARKNESS

Oct 8 - Santo the Silver Masked Wrestler Film Festival:

SANTO VS. FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER
SANTO & BLUE DEMON VS. DRACULA AND THE WOLFMAN
SANTO in THE VENGEANCE OF THE MUMMY

Oct 15 - The Arbitrary Foreign Film Festival:

Indonesia - LADY TERMINATOR
Argentina - BLOOD OF THE VIRGINS
Dutch - THE JOHNSONS

Oct 22 - 70s Triple Feature:

Greydon Clark's SATAN'S CHEERLEADERS (1977)
Daniel Haller's THE DUNWICH HORROR (1970)
Wes Craven's LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (1972)

Oct 29 - BLOOD ISLAND Film Festival:

BRIDES OF BLOOD
MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND
BEAST OF BLOOD

BLACK & WHITE SUNDAYS:

Oct 2 - Tod Browning's FREAKS
Oct 9 - Tod Browning's DRACULA and George Melford's DRACULA (in Spanish)
Oct 16 - Robert Wise's THE HAUNTING
Oct 23 - Mario Bava's BLACK SUNDAY
Oct 30 - Charles Laughton's NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

HORROR, ITALIAN STYLE MONDAYS:

Oct 3 - Mario Bava's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE
Oct 10 - Lucio Fulci's THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY
Oct 17 - Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA
Oct 24 - Mario Bava's TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE
Oct 31 - Lucio Fulci's ZOMBIE

THEY WON'T STAY DEAD TUESDAYS!:

Oct 4 - Dan O'Bannon's RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
Oct 11 - Peter Jackson's DEAD/ALIVE
Oct 18 - Stuart Gordon's RE-ANIMATOR
Oct 25 - Jean Rollin's LIVING DEAD GIRL

WEIRD-ASS WEDNESDAYS:

Oct 5 - Stephen Chiodo's KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE
Oct 12 - John Waters' MULTIPLE MANIACS
Oct 19 - Toshiharu Ikeda's EVIL DEAD TRAP
Oct 26 - Lee Demarbre's JESUS CHRIST, VAMPIRE HUNTER

CRAWLING LEFTOVER THURSDAYS*:

*okay, yeah, you're right, overly critical reader. This is a lame category for Thursdays. I actually thought Thirsty Thursdays would've been great, but then I would've gone with vampire type films, and even though I could come up with some vampire movies from my collection, I simply wanted to see these movies more. Unfortunately, these movies really didn't have anything in common. Hence... this really lame though fairly accurate category for Thursdays.
Oct 6 - John Carpenter's THE THING
Oct 13 - Luigi Bastella's NUDE FOR SATAN
Oct 20 - Pedro Almodovar's MATADOR
Oct 27 - Roger Corman's THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM

EROTIC, FLESHY FRIDAYS:

Oct 7 - Jess Franco Double Cheese Double Feature:
FEMALE VAMPIRE and LUST FOR FRANKENSTEIN
Oct 14 - Tobe Hooper's LIFEFORCE
Oct 21 - Vicente Aranda's THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE
Oct 28 - Kazuo "Gaira" Komizu's ENTRAILS OF A VIRGIN

Whew!

That's a lot of freaking movies! But, it's an interesting list.
We'll see how well I fare in the next two weeks (!).
Meanwhile, my sweetie-pie anxiously waits to use the computer.
Later!

Mood: determined

Listening to: Rob Zombie’s HELLBILLY DELUXE

Welcome back to April 2017:

Boy, not only am I delusional that I’m going to watch 31 movies in 31 days (and mind you, I start off by saying it’s already 12 days into the month(!)), I throw in double- and triple-features as well, so I’m actually INCREASING the number of movies I planned to watch: 43! Cripes! What a lunatic!
I don’t know if I ever watched any of these movies during that October.
But, as a cinemaphile, and especially as a cinemaphile who OWNS these movies on DVD already, I should actually watch these at some point.
Of the films listed, these are the ones I know I have seen at least once sometime in my life (those marked with an asterisk I saw in 2016/2017):

1. THE EVIL DEAD

2. EVIL DEAD II: DEAD BY DAWN
3. ARMY OF DARKNESS
4. Tod Browning’s DRACULA*
5. George Melford’s DRACULA*
6. THE HAUNTING
7. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
8. THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY
9. SUSPIRIA*
10. ZOMBIE
11. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
12. DEAD/ALIVE*
13. RE-ANIMATOR
14. EVIL DEAD TRAP
15. THE THING
16. NUDE FOR SATAN
17. LIFEFORCE
18. THE BLOOD SPATTERED BRIDE
19. ENTRAILS OF A VIRGIN

Hmmm.. I got my work cut out for me...




No comments:

Post a Comment